TRANSLATE

Monday, February 13, 2012

Hearts Hearts Hearts





February is National Heart Month. I like the way they picked the month that is flooded with paper-mache hearts, heart shaped cards and cut-outs, red, red and more red everywhere! Valentine's Day is my second favorite holiday (Christmas is first). So I came up with my own crochet heart pattern this year! My way of celebrating the story of Saint Valentine.






First some pictures!


This is the first one I made. I fell in love with it and decided to add the white trim to make it pop and seem more like a Valentine. I was shooting for the grade-school Valentine card looking sort of heart and I think I nailed it.


I liked Valentine's day in grade school. I wasn't the most popular kid in the class but I wasn't the most shunned kid either so I made out okay when it came time to carry home my box of Valentine cards. Some of them even came with candy attached, imagine that! This was in the 70's, so that really was something.


Anyway, back to my crocheted heart. I attached a pin to the back and wore him to church. I was the only one there to have a Valentine's day pin, in a group of 200 peopleHeathens . . . . . just kidding.

Heart with pin attached
I had looked around the internet and just never found a heart pattern that I liked. Crochet Pattern Central is a really cool site and had a few for me to pick from. But I just could not find what I was looking for! So I sat down and decided I was going to make one of my very own, that's what I did and this is what I got. 


Now this heart can be used for all kinds of things. Pins, appliques, patches, they can be put into a garland. Sew two together, leave the top open and put a Kiss inside for someone special. Heck, attach them to the end of small dowel rods and put them in a bouquet of flowers. When you get to thinking about it the ideas just keep comin'.

And here's the pattern. Enjoy! One note: my pattern uses a modified Magic Circle. I use only the first 3 steps of the traditional one as seen here.

Heart
This pattern is for the solid red heart pictured above.

Materials:
Worsted weight 4-ply yarn in the color(s) of your choice.
size F/5 (3.75MM) hook
embroidery needle

Gauge is not important to this piece. Here is a list of abbreviations for you to reference.

Round 1
Make a Magic Circle. (The following stitches are all done inside the Magic Circle)
Chain 3, hdc, scx2, hdc, dc, tr, dc, sl st, dc, tr, dc, hdc, scx2, hdc.
Pull the circle tight.
Join to top of beginning chain 3.

Round 2
Chain 3 (do not turn the work)
hdc in the next stitch
sc in next 2 stitches
hdc in the next stitch
DCx2 in next stitch
DCx3 in next stitch
sc in next stitch
sl st in next stitch
sc in next stitch
DCx3 in next stitch
DCx2 in next stitch
hdc in the next stitch
sc in the next 3 stitches
hdc in last stitch
Join to top of chain 3

Tie off and leave a tail of approximately 10-12” to use for sewing. Weave in any unwanted loose ends.

To attach a pin:
Whip stitch the yarn over the immovable part of a safety pin to secure it tightly to the back. I always go through the loop at the end of the pin to keep it from sliding around. (See picture above) Of course you can always go to a craft store and get the ones you can glue on instead.

For the trim:
Using a contrasting color, begin at the pointed end of the heart:
*Chain 3, skip next stitch, slip stitch to the next*.
Repeat from * to * around. Tie off and weave in loose ends.





No comments:

Post a Comment