TRANSLATE

Thursday, October 18, 2012

Officially Licensed Products


Have you ever gotten a specific request from someone? For example, you're crocheting at a library, park, etc and a lady approaches you about making a Hello Kitty hat for her 5 year old granddaughter. Sounds easy enough, right? We've all seen the posts and blogs and pics of other Hello Kitty hats our fellow crafters have made and sold. So what's the big deal? Well I'll tell you.

When someone asks for an officially licensed product to be hand made by you, you have a responsibility to approach the company that owns the license and ask permission to make the said object. Why? They own the rights of that specific product and they can (and sometimes will) come to you with a document from their lawyer demanding that you stop making that product. You would be stealing if you continued to make and sell their product.

I made two Angry Bird hats for my boys last year. Could I be approached by their lawyers? Sure, but I didn't sell them and I made no profit nor did I receive any compensation (except for the joyful looks on their faces). So here's my point: take care of what you make and sell to avoid any issues with officially licensed products.


This is one of the hats I made last year. The pattern is available here (notice it IS NOT called Angry Bird). I like to think we crafters have a good set of morals and standards. I may be wrong about some but I believe most of us know the difference between right and wrong.

Have a great week!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment