TRANSLATE

Thursday, November 29, 2012

Checkerboard Scarf Pattern


Crafting around the holidays is a very hectic time; at the time of this writing, there are only 25 days left for me to get my stuff together .... and it's NOT together! Can you say "panic"?

I'm holding things together so far, I have a few crosses that need starching (or glue-ing I should say since I use glue) and a couple caps to make for me to be finished. 

One thing I did get completed is a scarf & hat set that I've fallen in love with and to put the cherry on top - my youngest daughter made the graph pattern for the scarf! How cool is that?!? Thank you Maeghan, I would still be trying to come up with something different if you hadn't helped me. 

Here's a few images of the the cap and scarf.






I kinda had a hard time with this set. I purchased the I Love This Yarn Neon from Hobby Lobby, it was the last skein they had. I knew that in order to make this set in only two colors I would need one or two more skeins. So I ordered more, on a Rain Check ticket, they would call when it came in. I'm still waiting on that call.

The ladies at my Hobby Lobby tell me they are having trouble getting it from the company. So everyone must be using this color. I admit, it's a neat color. So what do I do? I head over to Wal-Mart, nope, they don't have it either, they don't even carry this brand. I go to a neighboring town where there's a Michael's store. They don't have any .... apparently Hobby Lobby has the monopoly on the I Love This Yarn Brand. I didn't know that then. I spent almost three weeks hunting for this yarn! lol

But I love (did I tell you that I lovelovelove) this set. I think it turned out fantastic and the major draw to that is Maeghan's graph for the scarf. It was time consuming to make but definitely worth the effort! 

Here's the graph she made, the cap is on there as well. The graph is short so I just decided that each color block would be three half-double crochets. I didn't follow the graph exactly, but the scarf still looks wonderful. I like the way her graph has the colors stair-stepping one another. Next time (if there is one) I will follow it to the letter. ^_^

Hi Maeghan!

I had to repeat the pattern since the scarf graph was short. 21 blocks long x 6 blocks wide. I added quite a bit to the length but just a few to the width.

For the scarf above I repeated the length 9 times for a total of 189 chain stitches. Add the other colors as they come and carry the yarn along as you crochet. To the width I added 3 more blocks for a total of 9 blocks wide.

You must, must must must, take caution as you carry yarn because what can happen is this; you pull it too tight and the project will be a bunched-up mess, <OR>, you let it hang too loosely and end up with loops along your work. My suggestion is to crochet 3 or 4 blocks and check the tension in your carried yarn. If it's too tight, stretch it out and if it's too loose, snug it up.

Materials:
  • 1 skein I Love This Yarn Black
  • 1 skein Red Heart Super Saver Grey Heather 
  • 1 skein I Love This Yarn Neon Pink 
  • size J crochet hook
  • scissors
  • embroidery needle
  1. Using black, Chain 189 + 2.
  2. Add the 2nd color, and turn. HDC in the next 3 stitches, change color and repeat following the graph pattern.
  3. Continue in this way until the scarf is as wide as you desire.
  4. Edge the scarf in black (or the color of your choice).
I admit, it will be quite some time before I do another scarf in this way, but I do think I will use this pattern again. Is it just me, or are kids more creative now than when I was young? lol

Have a safe and blessed week!

  
 
  
    

No comments:

Post a Comment