TRANSLATE

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Lady Bug Lotion Pouch

Winter is "almost" gone (I say "almost" because we had to use the heated mattress pad last night >.<) and while the cold, dry air is usually hardest on my hands, I like having lotion with me throughout the year. Ever washed your hands in a public restroom then dried them on bark-like paper towels or used the flay-the-skin-from-your-fingers air dryer? My hands are always left feeling .... icky. Sometimes, I've used my "moisturizing" hand sanitizer and that stuff, while it gets rid of germs, isn't really all that moisturizing, is it? How could it be when it's mostly alcohol? *facepalm*

Now if you've been here before, I made this little helper (for the aforementioned "moisturizing" hand sanitizer) and it's been hanging around my purse for more than a year. I usually kept lotion inside my purse and just like with the hand sanitizer I would hate digging for it. Inevitably it would be in some nook or cranny and I'd not find it without dumping the contents of my not so small purse onto the restaurant table or bathroom counter (ewww).

One day, while I was busy picking up the front room, my eyes fell on the hand sanitizer holder and the crochet angels started singing! I could make one of THOSE for my lotion! Why didn't I think of that before?
*facepalm again ... that one might bruise*

Here it is for you to try and enjoy. As always this pattern is free to reproduce and even sell but don't claim it as your own, that would just be rude.

Lady Bug Lotion Pouch

Materials:
  • Cotton Yarn in the color of your choice (I used Lily Sugar 'n Cream in Peace)
  • size G (6/4.25mm) crochet hook
  • 1 - tube of lotion (I had Avon 45ml/1.5 oz bottle)
  • scissors
  • embroidery needle
  • 5/8" Lady Bug button (or one that strikes your fancy)


Note:
The Hand sanitizer has a flip top but the lotion does not. So what we have to do is this: remove the cap for the lotion and place the bottom of our pouch around the opening of the lotion tube. Pictures are below and hopefully it will be more clear for you when you actually see what I'm talking about.

Stitches used: (American Terminology - click here for British conversion)
  • Chain (ch)
  • Double Crochet (DC)
  • Single Crochet (SC)
  • Slip Stitch (sl st)

 

Begin Pattern: 
Tie yarn around the opening of the tube and secure tightly. Remove from tube.
We're going to use this as a non-adjustable ring for the base of our pouch.








Insert hook through ring and yarn over.

Draw yarn through the ring and pull up a loop.
















Row 1:

Chain 6 (this counts as the first DC and ch 3).

*DC in ring, ch 3* four more times. Join to the 3rd ch for a total of 5 DC/ch 3's.














Now is the time to check your work against the lotion tube and make any adjustments you deem necessary. When you're happy with how it's fitting, move on to Row 2.








Row 2: Sl st over to the ch 3 space. Ch 3 (counts as first DC), 2 DC, ch 1 in ch 3 space. Skip the next DC. *3 DC, ch 1* in each of the remaining ch 3 spaces skipping the DC's in the previous row. Join to first DC.

Row 3: Ch 3 (counts as first DC), 1 DC in each DC around, skipping the ch 1 spaces. Join to first DC.

Rows 4 to 8: Ch 3 (counts as first DC), 1 DC in each DC around. Join to first DC.

Row 9: Ch 1, SC in same space and in each stitch around. Join to first SC.

FLAP
 
Row 10: Ch 3, 1 DC in the next 5 stitches. Ch 3 and turn. (6 DC)
Row 11: 1 DC in each stitch (the previous ch 3 counts as the first DC in each row)
Rows 12 and 13: Repeat Row 11.
Row 14: Ch 1 and turn. Sl st in the next 2 DC. Chain 5. Sl st in the last 3 DC. Tie off and weave in ends.

STRAP






Make a slip knot and ch 25. Join to pouch at the second stitch from the start of the flap.   
 


Ch 1, sl st in the next 20 ch spaces. Stop slip stitching and chain 5. Tie off.







As you can see, this leaves a "fork".












Take the two ch 5 strips and tie them together into a knot.

Do this twice and secure tightly with the tails.

To attach to your purse/backpack: use the knot at the end of the strap and pull through the second stitch from the end of the Flap.








Attach the Lady Bug Lotion Pouch to any purse or backpack. It will also work on a fanny pack or belt loop if you're at the State Fair, walking the trail in a state park and even at your family or company picnic.

I hope you enjoy it and make a bunch!


I would like to take this opportunity to dedicate this post to all those affected by the explosion at the Boston Marathon. You and your families are in my thoughts and prayers. May we all endeavor to be braver than
the individuals that hide behind such cowardly acts. 
  
The LORD is my light and my salvation, whom shall I fear?
The LORD is the stronghold of my life,
 of whom shall I be afraid? 
Psalm 27:1 (NIV)  


 

6 comments:

  1. You are so clever! Dee needs that for Christmas ;-) love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will make her one (or three)!
      Love you right back!

      Delete
  2. I love this! I need one for my little sunblock tube!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! Sunblock tube is great! Hit me up with some pics if you make one, I'd love to see it!

      Delete
  3. Great idea Karen. Love the cute lady bird detailing :)

    ReplyDelete