TRANSLATE

Thursday, May 9, 2013

4 Points Motif with Pattern

I love the traditional Granny Square motif. It's versatile, quick and easy. There are hundreds of projects that can be made with just the Granny Square. Purses, market bags, beach bags, blankets, sweaters, pants, shirts, shorts. Tablecloths, doilies, pot holders, hot pads, toys ... well, the list is seemingly endless

But I used to wonder, am I the only one that gets bored with that old stand-by pattern? While familiar and easily done while watching TV, that old pattern can get ... old. When I finally got "connected" with the internet (ie: learned how to surf the web) I discovered hexagons, octagons, triangles and pretty squares with flowers and animals in the center.

So now, here I am, a few (a lot) of years later and I have a smörgåsbord of Granny Squares to choose from for almost any project I want to complete. How great is that?

Let me add my take on a non-traditional Granny Square that looks like it might end up as a pillow/bag/sweater project. I haven't decided yet. ^_^



4 Points Motif Pattern

Materials
  • Yarn of choice (I used I Love This Yarn in Gray Mist)
  • crochet hook to match yarn gauge (I used a G/6-4.25MM)
  • scissors
  • embroidery needle for weaving in the ends
Stitches used (American Terminology):
  • Chain (ch)
  • Double Crochet (DC)
  • Single Crochet (SC)
  • Slip Stitch
Notes and Special Stitches:
Chain 3 counts as a DC unless otherwise stated. 
3DC cluster - YO, place hook through stitch indicated, draw up a loop, pull through 2 stands, YO, go through same stitch and draw up a loop, pull though 2 strands, YO, go through same stitch and draw up a loop, pull though 2 strands, YO and pull through all 4 loops on the hook, chain 1 to close the cluster. You can use this video for a reference to the "starting" cluster stitch and the 3 DC clusters that follow. (Teresa Richardson is wonderful!!!)

   
Begin pattern:

Ch 6 and join to form a circle. 
Row 1: Ch 3 (counts as first DC), 11 DC in circle. Join to first DC. (12DC)

Row 2: Ch 3, 2 DC cluster in same stitch, ch 1 to close. (First 3 DC cluster completed - see video link above), *Ch 1, 3 DC cluster in next stitch (don't forget to use a ch 1 to close the cluster)*. Repeat from * to * around. Join to first 3 DC cluster. (12 ch 1 spaces and 12 three DC clusters)

Row 3: Slip stitch to the next ch 1 space. Ch 1, SC in same space, ch 1. *[5 DC, ch 5, 5 DC] in next ch 1 space. Ch 1, SC in next ch 1 space, ch 3, SC in next ch 1 space, ch 1.* Repeat from * to * around, ending with ch 3 and securing to the first SC made in this row.

Tie off and weave in ends.

I hope you enjoy this and find many, many places to use it. Such as purses, beach bags, market bags, house shoes, shawls, sweaters, pillows, afghans ... I have too many ideas and not enough yarn!

Have a great week and be Blessed!
~~Karen~~


2 comments:

  1. I can't really crochet anymore (finger injuries), but I did make these snowflakes squares one time: http://www.artoftangle.com/snowflake.htm They were lots of fun to make. Everytime it when from a weird white hex to a snowflake it was like magic! I like your square, I would try it if I could! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well thank you and I'm sorry hear that you can't crochet. =(
      I will have to check out that snowflake!

      Delete