TRANSLATE

Thursday, June 6, 2013

Modified No-chain Starting Double Crochet


So, this week I’m trying something different. I want to make some videos for my mother (who lives over 900 miles from me) so she can learn some of the tricks I’ve picked up along the way. Mostly shortcuts that make some stitches easier and others that just make the stitches look better. Most of them I’m sure you guys already know. This video is one of those tricks. I picked it up on the internet, and much to my chagrin, I can’t remember where I learned it. I didn’t save the link so I’m lost as to the site name. If someone knows where that might be, please, comment below and provide the link or the site name. That would be very much appreciated! Along with not being able to remember the link/site, I can’t remember what she called it! But it needs a name, right? I think I’ll call it a Modified No-chain Starting Double Crochet. I know it’s a mouthful but that’s what it is.

Previously I’d tried to make some videos using one of my kids as a cameraman (riiiight) and that didn’t turn out so well. They’re teenagers, what can I say? So I hit up a group on Google+ and asked Teresa Richardson how she did it. Her advice was great and with it I have this! Hopefully it will help my mother and maybe it can help you, too! Don’t get used to videos though, I’m much more comfortable with typing and letting you imagine what my voice sounds like! ^_^

Written directions are provided so you can refer back to that as well. However, I don’t think the written directions make much sense unless you’ve seen it done.

No-chain Starting Double Crochet

NOTES: This stitch is used as a first stitch in a round/row and replaces the chain 3 usually associated with a starting double crochet.

At the point where you want your first dc, do the following:


  • Draw up an extended loop to the height of a double crochet. If you are doing this for the first time, have an item available with the dc stitch so you can measure the extended loop.

  • Place your index finger on the yarn and hold it securely in place.

  •  Twist your hook to the right and go behind the extended loop. Be sure to keep your finger securely on the yarn to prevent slippage.

  • Yarn over and pull your hook back to the front of the extended loop. At this point you will have 2 loops on your hook. Now it’s safe to relax that death grip you’ve had while holding the yarn in place. ^_^

  • Yarn over and pull through 2 loops. Congrats! You just finished the No-chain Starting Double Crochet!


I hope this is something you find a use for in a lot of your work. I use it almost every time a pattern calls for a “ch 3” when stepping up to the next row. I find it much more pleasing to the eye and while non-crocheters won’t notice it, all of your crocheting friends will want you to show them how you did it!

So practice, practice, practice and this stitch will soon become second nature to you.


Enjoy and have a great week!
Peace and blessings,
~~Karen~~




1 comment:

  1. Not long after you posted this, Moogly posted a video, photo, and written tutorial. She's the best! Hope this helps if your someone who needs visuals like me. http://www.mooglyblog.com/chainless-starting-double-crochet/

    ReplyDelete