TRANSLATE

Wednesday, January 22, 2014

A Day Off? Unheard of!

Do you ever take a day off from crochet? Knitting? Crafting of any sort? If this is your hobby sure, you've taken a day off. But what if it's your career, or just something you do to keep from watching that brain-rotting stuff they call daytime television . . . have you ever given yourself permission to take a day off? 

Crochet isn't my business, although I'd love to make it that. And it's more than a hobby. Hit up Google search and type in "define hobby". This is what you'll get: an activity done regularly in one's leisure time for pleasure. Well, I do get pleasure out of it but I also feel called to crochet. Kinda weird, right? Most people get "called" into ministry, teaching, nursing, even being an astronaut. But crochet? I don't know. It's something I can't quite explain.

My hubby and my kids would call it an "obsession". Obsession as defined by Google search: "an idea or thought that continually preoccupies or intrudes on a person's mind". Ahem. Ummm . . . . . okay. Maybe it is an obsession. If that's the only definition we're using then I'm also obsessed with my husband, my kids, my pregnant daughter, God, my church, chocolate - Thin Mints if you want me to be specific, the economy, invading bugs - especially spiders (they're everywhere)!, my weight, my lack of exercise, our bank account, dental care, my sisters and mother in Florida, cancer patients, the homeless, the below 0 temperatures and people that need to feel loved! 

*dramatic pause for a gasp of breath

And therein lies the rub. People that need to feel loved. Hmmmm. I don't have millions of dollars for building a shelter or supplying my area with a personal companion for every lonely person. I do have yarn. I don't have the physical endurance for running a marathon to help support cancer research. I do have a hook. I don't have the knowledge or insight to find a cure for obesity or, more directly, cancer. But I do have know-how.

I know-how to make a hat. I can donate them to the shelters in my area.
I know-how to make a cap. I can donate them to the cancer center in town.
I know-how to make toys. I can donate them to the women's resource center.
I know how to make afghans. I can donate them to nursing homes and veterans hospitals.

So, I may, on occasion, take a day off from crocheting. But I promise you, I'm learning something new to make the afghans more beautiful. I'm researching the materials for cancer caps so they'll be more warm and comfortable. I'm sketching a new pattern for a small stuffed toy, so that displaced child can have something to hold when he's afraid. I promise, you are never far from my mind or my heart.

This is an obsession to some.
For me, it's my passion! 
Is crochet or knitting your obsession? 


Peace and blessings,
~~Karen~~



Please feel free to leave a comment.
I love hearing from you and welcome your feedback.

If you would like to contact me directly, you can email me at
croch3t2002@gmail.com.

Or by finding me at one of the following sites:

 
 
 
 

12 comments:

  1. Hey, Karen, who authorized you to sum up my life? Well at least a part of it. You said this so well. It is wonderful to know that I am not quite as alone in this passion as I would think. Seriously, a day off? no. maybe a few hours, but never a whole day. I never stop being a woman, so why should I stop doing what I love?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol - I love that --- "Never stop being a woman"!!!!

      Delete
  2. Some things you might be able to put down and walk away from for a day....But a passion is ALWAYS with you!! You begin to see crochet possibilities in EVERYTHING and EVERYONE you see around you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you CAN be "called" to crochet ... consider me Exhibit A! Just recently, I have felt the call to crochet scarves for the homeless! The sheer JOY at feeling I can be used to make even a tiny difference through something I love bubbles back to the surface every time I think of that moment! (So far, one scarf finished!) The goal is one per week, so I'm a little behind, but I did several "do overs" on the first one to get a workable pattern that would be warm and soft. And in true God-fashion, once I made known what I was going to do, literally 3 bucketloads of yarn appeared on my doorstep! Thank you so much for this post! It's like a little affirmation that I'm on the right track!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And your reply is my little affirmation. Thank you!

      Delete
  4. I KNEW there were spay cams all over my house! I, too, feel called to crochet. Like you, I don't have limitless resources to provide food, shelter and medical care to those who need it most. I can, however, make something tangible, something to give someone to remind them that they are important and loved, even if they never even hear my name. I think that's part of the reason why I am so strongly drawn to teaching crochet as well, to give others the chance to experience what it feels like to take a talent/skill and use it to put a smile on someone's face.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Darn! And I thought I had those cameras hidden so well. LoL

      Delete
  5. I just love reading your blog. ^_^ It is a passion and an obsession. My boys laugh at me because I think and relate everything to crochet or yarn. A lot of deep life lessons can be learned from crochet (or knitting). Think about the patience it takes to learn a new stitch, or dealing with frustration properly when you have to frog a piece of work you spend hours on, or the development of empathy when you see that YES your seeming little offering of a hat, slippers, scarf, or blanket really does make someone happy or at least warm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've several people tell me that I should teach a class at our church. Maybe if I finally step up to that plate I can get some help making these 365 hats? I just haven't felt confident enough to go that far yet. Baby steps. I'll get there.

      Delete
  6. Heck yeah I take days off! Those video games aren't going to play themselves! hahahaha!

    I think it is good for the way my creative soul ticks to sometimes not be creative at all. It never lasts long, usually a few days but never longer than a week or two.

    Its awesome of you to donate your creative soul! Such a great way to spend your time. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think downtime adds to our creativity. It lets our minds get out of the present and wander off to different places. (I have dreams of making the Paladin Judgement set . . . once I learn to S E W!!!!!)
      http://peetietang.deviantart.com/art/Paladin-Tier-2-Judgement-set-165088335

      Delete