TRANSLATE

Saturday, January 18, 2014

Say Hello to My Little Friend

Let me introduce you to one of my cohorts in crochet, the Styrofoam head. I've had her for a couple of years now, but before we became so close, I would look at others' crochet posts and be envious of their heads. Kinda silly, isn't it? Jealous of a Styrofoam head? Sorta like being jealous of a plastic lamp? (10 extra points if you know that movie reference!)

I finally decided I needed one when I got started, in earnest, making hats. Previous to this I would use things like lamps, large balls of yarn, my children. Let me state something here: My children are only Things sometimes. (*gasp* another reference! Do you know this one? C'mon! It's easy!)

I got my head at Sally Beauty Supply, with a coupon, for about $2.19. Which is nominal when you compare to other places. Now I'm in the market to get her a boyfriend. I've seen some around but keep hesitating to purchase him. I'd rather pay another $2.19 instead of the $10+tax that I keep seeing him at. Oh, what the heck. I guess in the greater scheme of things $10 isn't too bad. I think I can talk my hubby into that. It's when I start wanting the dress form that he's going to completely flip. =D




Without further ado, here is Marie Antoinette. I did not name her. My daughter did. She and I share the same sort of morbid humor. I was talking to her one day (my daughter, not Marie) and we were tossing names around. Jessica, Daisy, Beatrice . . . during this conversation the Styrofoam head must have fallen to the floor a half dozen times. The last time she fell (the Styrofoam head, not my daughter) is when my beautiful, smart, morbid-thinking offspring said, "MARIE! You should call her Marie because her head keeps falling off!"

Wow.

I laughed . . . we laughed.

A lot.

And so the name stuck. So has her propensity for falling to the floor. I'm thinking about covering her in duct tape. Not that duct tape will help with her fondness for carpet, but it should would make her less, I don't know . . . . bland?

Peace and blessings,
~~Karen~~



Please feel free to leave a comment.
I love hearing from you and welcome your feedback.

If you would like to contact me directly, you can email me at
croch3t2002@gmail.com.

Or by finding me at one of the following sites:



16 comments:

  1. LOL!!! Hum. I guess I should name mine...I will say she has freaked me out a couple of times when I walked into my craft room and forgot where I put her. Great Post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL!!! LOVED this post and such an APPROPRIATE name for her!!! haha. I also got mine at Sally's with that lovely coupon. Her name is Sally!! Not very creative....but it really fits her personality :D I got her a friend from another store and paid WAY to much for her. We call her Susie. I have not seen the male heads...but I think if I had one I would name him Burt....but only if he had a moustache!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Burt! Love it! Sally and Burt - I'd have to crochet them a Trans-Am to sit in. LoL (with the hat on the antenna *winkwink*)

      Delete
  3. I call mine Alice. I don't know why. She is actually a friend's but somehow I end up with all her unwanted or unused crafting stuff. Although now that I've read your post Marie is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is perfect - does your like the carpet too?

      Delete
  4. I have FIVE styrofoam heads. I bought one, then my husband bought me four more. I use them for craft fairs, but when I'm using them for that, I have a really super creepy collection of heads hanging out on top of my bookcase. Maybe that's the reason my friends don't like hanging out in my design space . . .

    ReplyDelete
  5. My poor head needs to be retired or painted or something she's a little beat up! I got mine at Hobby Lobby with a coupon of course! She is nameless and that's a shame! Maybe after she gets a makeover she'll get a name too! My dog didn't like her so I do have to keep her hidden away! She would freak out every time I got it out! Silly pup!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! I bet that's a fun thing to watch, as long as it's happening to someone else, right?

      Delete
  6. What silliness and fun your head has caused! (The Styrofoam one, not yours personally)... I have two that my daughter found in their attic when they were moving into the old house. Her little dog also had fits with them! So, she covered one with sheet music and the other one with old maps and gifted them to my use. The "mappy" one is plainly stating my hometown. :) Never thought to name them. I HAVE been jealous of other peoples heads though :) They all do seem to be rather top heavy, though, don't they? Mine are ALWAYS falling over!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've considered nailing Marie to a board but then she'd get bored (O.o).
      I believe she enjoys rolling around on the carpet. =D

      Delete
  7. I would have laughed a lot too. My children used to torcher my dear styrofoam head. Two times I've found her bludgeoned to death with a hammer or other blunt object. One time my (then 4 year old) took magic markers to color in the eyes, lips, and hair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have loved to have seen that art work! lol

      Delete
  8. Maybe you should get out some craft paints and paint her up really nice :D Or you could just get extremely creative with different colors of duct tape!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to do something EXTREME with her . . . I'm just not sure what that is yet. =P

      Delete