TRANSLATE

Thursday, February 13, 2014

My New Hook Handle made with Creative Paperclay®

So, I have this blog I like to read called The Bored Zombie. Maybe you've heard of it. (Good stuff over there, huh?) Anyway, Susan recently started delving into crafting with something called Creative Paperclay®. She, along with a few other crafty ladies, have had me intrigued with their clay-play and I wanted to try my hand at it. So, guess what I did?

That's right, I went and bought some Creative Paperclay®. My original intention was to make buttons. I have a second love and it's buttons. Did you ever play that game in grade school, on rainy or snowy days, called "Button"? You know, "Button, button, who's got the button?" Well, I never wanted to give up the button if I was lucky enough to get it.

**mental groan for all the confused faces I'm picturing right now**

That's beside the point. And a post for another day. What I did was make a handle for one of my size D/3 - 3.25MM hooks. I have some polymer clay in a drawer somewhere but for some reason I just can't bring myself to bake that clay in the same oven where I bake my cornbread. Am I the only one? Toaster oven is on the list for "one of these days" but I haven't seen that particular day on my calendar yet.


I followed the directions on the package of the Creative Paperclay® for making my handle. After rolling up a log to the approximate size I thought it should be, I just pushed the end of the hook into the clay until it covered the center flat part that tells you the sizing information. I then pinched the clay around the hook itself to make it tighter. And because I over estimated, I pinched off the extra from the bottom. I used that "pinched" part for the size notation you see above. I made that using a toothpick and poking it into the clay repeatedly. I tried to "draw" it into the clay but it wanted to pull and bunch up so I poked it instead.

The clay itself is white (if I had been smart I would have taken before pictures) so the color you're seeing here is what I painted after the clay had hardened. I used plain acrylic paints, some water, papertowels and an old emory board to get that pattern.

Basically, I played with it until I was happy with the way it looked, then I sprayed it with some clear acrylic gloss coating. I am pleased as punch with my new handle and I'm thinking ahead to things I can make with it.

Peace and blessings, 
~~Karen~~

Materials I used to paint it with.



I covered the hook part with foil before spraying the gloss coating.

 
Doesn't look like clay, does it? I like it =D




Feel free to leave a comment!

I love hearing from you and welcome your feedback.

If you would like to contact me directly, you can email me at
croch3t2002@gmail.com.

Or by finding me at one of the following sites:



Don't forget to visit my sister
(or would that be daughter?) blog over at
 
 
 

16 comments:

  1. That is so cool!! Funny - I've made a few knitting needle handles with the clay for sculpting tools and it never crossed my mind to make crochet hood handles. Brilliant! :) My favorite part is the nice big labeling of the hook. I can see the numbers on them, but I feel like an old lady squinting at it! hahahaha!

    I know a bit about polymer too - One trick I've seen people use is to make a "tent" from aluminum foil to cover the clay. I don't worry about it cooking in the oven so much, but I would not use it on a dish I intended to eat from. I use an old glass pie plate or a cheapo ceramic tile I got from the hardware store. They work really well. :)

    Thanks so much for this, you've made my day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I happen to have a glass pie plate or 3 laying around - I just might have to give it a whirl. Dollars to doughnuts my hubby makes me wait for a trip to Lowe's first though. LOL

      And you're most welcome!

      Delete
  2. This is so cool! Will definitely have to try this sometime. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The hardest part was waiting for the clay to dry =D

      Delete
  3. This is a great gift idea! I'm curious to see what else you do with the clay :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! Now there's a notion! Wonder who I know that might want one? >.O

      Delete
  4. I would like one for sure. My hands are giving me grief with my arthritis is it easier on the hands if you make a handle such as that for the crochet hooks?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so Penny. I have arthritis and carpal tunnel and a larger handle really helps with the tingling, pain and over-all "asleep" feeling I get.

      Delete
  5. Seriously. Creative Paperclay is the Duct Tape of the art world. It can fix/improve ANYTHING!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that! Duct Tape of the art world! Hilarious! =D =D

      Delete
  6. I'm off to the only crafts store in my rural town (walmart) to see if they carry this stuff, I'm a crone whose hands are fossilizing with arthritis and your idea is genius! I've got many hooks just begging to be customized this way so they are again usable. Thank you so much, Karen. Happy hooking.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm off to the only crafts store in my rural town (walmart) to see if they carry this stuff, I'm a crone whose hands are fossilizing with arthritis and your idea is genius! I've got many hooks just begging to be customized this way so they are again usable. Thank you so much, Karen. Happy hooking.

    ReplyDelete