TRANSLATE

Thursday, March 27, 2014

Crochet Thread Flower with Free Pattern

Just when I thought Spring was here . . . it snows 3" and we're left with a sloshy slippery mess. Luckily it only lasted a couple of days. While it still isn't all that warm, the sun is shining, the birds are singing and the roads are once again clear! (Which means the kids can go to school!)

I have a friend named Phillip that met some lovely ladies that make dresses and donate them to impoverished villages in third world countries. Their organization is called Sewing 4 Souls



You see that little green flower? The reason Phillip thought of me is because I crochet and apparently the lovely ladies (and possibly gentlemen) like to use hand crafted items for their ministry. He asked me if I could make this. Of course I said yes. 

He brought the one you see above to me as an example and after looking it over I thought I'd see if I could find a pattern so I could make it exact. I didn't find a pattern, even after using the image search function in Google.


So I winged it.



The pink flower above is the one I made after carefully looking over the green one in more detail. I think it's pretty darn close. What do you think?

Here's the pattern I used for the pink one. The pattern for the green flower may be entirely different but that's one of the many things I adore about crochet: once you understand how the stitches work, you can make anything!

Here goes:

Materials:

  • size #10 crochet thread
  • E/4 - 3.50MM crochet hook
  • scissors
  • yarn needle for weaving in the ends

Stitches Used
: (American Terminology here's a converter for you)


  • Magic Circle
  • Slip Stitch (sl st)
  • Chain (ch)
  • Single Crochet (SC)
  • Extended Double Crochet (eDC) 
  • Extended Double Crochet Cluster (eDCcl)

Notes: You can use a Double Crochet or a Treble Crochet in this pattern instead of the eDC if you prefer.

Extended Double Crochet Cluster Stitch (eDCcl): 
Beginning cluster: after you ch 3 as your starting stitch; *YO, go through the Magic Circle, YO and draw up a loop. YO and pull through one loop, YO and pull through 2 loops. Repeat from * 2 more times making a total of 4 incomplete eDC stitches. YO and pull through all 4 loops on your hook. Pull snug.
Regular eDCcl: *YO, go through the Magic circle, YO and draw up a loop. YO and pull through 1 loop, YO and pull through 2 loops. Repeat from * 3 more times for a total of 4 incomplete eDC stitches. YO and pull through all 5 loops on your hook. Pull snug.


Start by making the Magic Circle and ch 3 (counts as first eDC). Alternatively you can ch 4 and do the following eDCcl stitches in the 4th stitch from the hook.

Row 1: Beginning eDCcl, ch 2; *Regular eDCcl, ch 2. Repeat from * 4 more times for a total of 6 eDCcl stitches. Join to top of first eDCcl with a sl st. Ch 1 and turn your work.

Row 2: SC in same space as ch 1 stitch. *Working into the ch 2 spaces; make 8 eDC stitches, SC in top of next eDCcl. Repeat from * around for a total of 6 sets of 8 eDC stitches. Join to beginning SC stitch with a sl st. 

Tie off and weave in your ends.

This little gem can be used an an embellishment on just about anything from cell phone cozies to beanies to blue jeans to purses. Get creative with your Spring wardrobe and deck it out with a touch of hand crafted beauty!


In this image the pink flowers are made per the pattern instructions while the white flower is using a regular Double Crochet stitch.



Peace and blessings,
~~Karen~~




4 comments:

  1. I'm a fan of odd numbers so I prefer the pink flower. Thanks for the pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did a beautiful job, let me thank you for your generosity in share with us the pattern that you have created :)))) I also love the pink one!
    Have a beautiful day!
    Marisa from http://passionetcouture.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the very kind words - I love sharing what I make. Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete